May 20, 2012

Mother's Day Surprise

My husband Carl sweetly surprised me on Mother's Day this year. He knows that the most important thing to me is just spending time together and he made sure that is just what happened. Mother's Day morning I woke up to donuts from my favorite donut shop. He then asked if I could watch Skylar because he had an errand to run. 

Skylar and I sat down for some mom and me time. We colored, played baby dolls and worked on some puzzles. It was the perfect morning! Little did I know my little worker bee husband had been in and out of the back yard the entire time.

He popped his head in the door and asked me to come to the backyard. When I stepped outside I saw lots of lumber and soil. I was a little confused. He said," I know that you really like things we can do together and things that are homemade so I bought you a garden." It was so unexpected and so thoughtful. I love that he listens and knows me so well!!

Later that afternoon the work began. I must have changed my mind 5 times on where I wanted it in the yard. Once we found our location we mapped it out, dug out the grass and border for the wood frame, tilled the dirt and filled it with soil. It took about 5 hours total because it's size. Skylar really liked to help us put the dirt in the wagon but most of all she was a fantastic water girl. She carried our water bottle around all day long. It was a day full of memories that I will never forget and will get to relive every year with our new crops.

This is what grew in our garden :)
A garden and kisses. Gan't get any better than that!!
Now the fun part began......choosing what to plant. If you know us at all then you know choosing a vegetable that we actually eat would be difficult. After an hour long trip to Target we finally had our seeds. 

Skylar was SOOO over our shopping trip. This was how we entertained her.
We chose Corn, Summer Squash, Pumpkins, Cucumbers, Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Carrots, Onions, Broccoli and Bell Peppers. 

Our Garden Day 4 we had about 3 or 4 sprouts
Water makes them HaPpY
It also makes Skylar HaPpY!!!
I had seen a planting how-to video and it was suggested that you soak your seeds in room temp. water over night before planting to jump start the seeds. It really worked!! Most of our seeds were not supposed to show growth for 7+days and ours sprouted in 4 days! I will try to keep updated every few days so that you can see how it's coming along.

Our Garden day 5
Thanks to my wonderful husband this Mother's Day was very special and I am forever blessed to say he's mine!!!


No comments: